The Delhi Durbar Tiara
The circlet was made by Garrards, especially for Queen Mary during the Delhi Durbar on December 12,1911 – hence its name. Durbar is Hindi, for a ‘ceremonial gathering to pay homage’. The gathering was to install King George V and Queen Mary as Emperor and Empress of India. King George V admired this piece and referred to it as “May’s best tiara”. It was originally worn with detachable emerald drops and at the Durbar, Queen Mary wore it over a crimson velvet cap. The tiara is loaned to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall by the Queen.